Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Walking on eggshells

Every now and then I feel like I am walking on eggshells for people. Not because I want to but because I am afraid of how they will feel. I don't like to hurt peoples feelings, and never want to have anyone mad at me. Therefore sometimes I keep things bottled up inside of me for too long.

Last nights was one of those nights. I have many good talks with my good friends. In fact I love staying up late just listening to them talk, or telling them my stories of growing up. Well last night I knew that I needed to tell my best friend something, I knew that it had to get out, but was afraid of her reaction. I knew her stance on the subject to be very firm, and my opinion was different. So trying to even bring up the conversation was hard. (BTW she did not help either because I tried to ask leading questions, but she never answered a question with another question) So finally I had to just tell her that I had something to say that she needed to hear. As I was able to finally open up about what was needed to be said, I looked at her to see if she was mad, bewildered, or angry; but I saw non of that on her face, only a calm reassurance. She asked me why I hadn't brought it up before, and I told her about being worried how she would react. We talked for a little bit more, and then the night ended.

I was amazed. How could something that I had had severe worries about go over so well? How could she accept? Looking back now I still don't know, but I feel more at peace. I am less wound up, and got a really good sleep last night (once I was able to actually fall asleep).

So that is what I want everyone to learn today. There is no need to walk on eggshells. Pretty much the only one you are hurting is you. When you keep your frustrations locked up inside of you it doesn't hurt the other person; it only hurts you. They might not even know that anything is bothering you. Plus once you clear the air, you feel so relieved. That burden has been lifted off your shoulders. We have so much to carry already, why carry more?

Just to note, I am not saying that it is going to be easy to say; and I am not saying that it is going to be the same reaction as I have had; I am saying that it is going to be beneficial. When there is a wall built up between friends, siblings, lovers; something is wrong. Communication is the key to all our relationships. We can all communicate more.

So this really was gathering up enough moxie to help me to speak. It's good to know that I am starting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment