Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Letter Writer

I was watching a show on BYUtv called the Letter Writer. It's a pretty typical mormon show. Basic acting, sound that is subpar for a movie, and it looks like it was shot all on set. But in this show something was said that really made me think.

Sam, the old wise man who was there to teach the young heroine a lesson, was the letter writer. His gift was writing letters to others to make them feel special. He was talking to the heroine, Maddy, about her gift. When she asks Sam to teach her how to write letters like he does, he states that he may not be able to. Letter writing is his gift, and it may not be hers. When she asks how she can know what her gift/calling in life is, he states that it is something that when she does it she will feel a connection to, and it will be like a line between her and God has been opened up.

When thinking about that I was like wow, that is such a good concept. However it also made me question what is my talent/gift/calling? I have so many things that I truly love to do. I have so many dreams of things that I would like to see accomplished. But there has never been a connection from me to God on what to do in my life. I know I love the arts. I am not good at painting, but I love to listen to music, I love to sing, and I love to do photography.

As I have already stated in a previous post, I really want to write a movie. I actually have a really good plot line coming along in my head and when I am not at work, or posting on this blog, I am probably working on the movie. It has a beginning, middle and an end. Now all that is left is dialogue, and adding some filler scenes to get the story line from A to B to C and so forth.

So I want to know what your gift/talent/calling in life is? Do you know what you were sent here to do? If so how old were you when you found out? What did you do to make it manifest in your life? Have you pursued that goal fully? What is stopping you from pursuing the goal?

Sam also said something else profound. He said to always remember a key. A key can unlock whoever,  and wherever you want to be.

I'm taking this key, and unlocking a new me. A me who is looking to learn of her gift, and to use it to bring others to the plan of happiness. I'm gonna use this key as unlocking my moxie for me to do what my talents lead me to do.

1 comment:

  1. I totally think you should go for your dream. You may have to work your tail off for a while working during the day then coming home at night working on your movie or your photography, but if it gets you to a place where you can do what you love, it's definitely something worth working for! I think we're given many talents during our lives that we can use for good. One of my dreams has always been to have my own business because I always felt I would be a good entrepreneur, and now I'm doing just that! It took guts to take the plunge but I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete