Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Follow Your Dreams

On Sunday I was at a Young Single Adult Fireside. The speaker was President Mike Fisher. His topic was goal setting (of which I could have a whole other blog). His subject really set a fire under me to set goals for myself.

During the presentation he talked about something his mother asked him to do when he was younger. She told him to write a letter to his future children. Not just any letter, but a letter of what he deemed was most important. This simple request touched my heart. It just felt right. That night I went home, sat down with my journal, and started writing to my future children. I'm not going to tell you everything that I wrote, because you are not my future children; but I will share a little bit with you.

Follow your dreams. Don't let anyone stand in the way. I had a dream that I let another person tell me that I could never achieve. Because of that one little negative comment I have held myself back more than once. Don't ever worry how big or small your dreams are, because end in the end they are YOUR DREAMS. You are going to be the one to work for them. It's not going to be easy, but it will be worth it. You are worth it.

After writing the letter to my children, I thought about my own dreams and ambitions. I'm done with letting life pass me by. I want to make a difference in the world, but the only way I can is make a difference is by working towards it.

My dreams are there. I am going to make them come true, because I want them. They are mine to follow, and mine to achieve. And guess what? I'm even ok with failing at them, because even if I fail, I will still be closer than if I had never started.

No comments:

Post a Comment