Saturday, February 18, 2012

What I have learned from Weddings

Weddings... every girl has dreamed of their perfect wedding since they were a child. That's what I enjoy about weddings is that they are all different. Same basic format, but all have a style and flavor of the newly wed couple. But seeing as I have been in what I refer to the "Single Circuit" for almost 12 years now; I have seen my fair share of weddings.

Each of these weddings are special to me. Not only do I get to see some of my dear friends get married to wonderful men (and women) but also I get to learn what goes well :) and what doesn't :(. At one point I wrote down everything that I did, or did not want at my wedding. I must admit, because I have been to so many, I am starting to get quite specific on things I do and do not want. Also because I have been a bridesmaid for 4 of my best friends, then I have seen some behind the scenes action that prepared me even more.

Nick, Sarah M, and I
Rachel, Angela, Caroline, Me, and Kim
Amy, Sarah S and I
Me, Amy, Kelsey, Danielle, and Summer (bottom row)


I love all these girls! They have been the best, and we still talk and hang out, even though they are all married. But back to my original topic... What I have learned from weddings.

  1. I want a P A R T Y! I want everyone to dance, and I need a live DJ
  2. I want a photographer that thinks outside the box.  And who knows how to take great Temple photos. (It's an art)
  3. I want to have a Dollar Dance $$
  4. I really want to have a fireworks show at my reception so we can kiss under the fireworks. (Maybe a little bit far fetched; but hey, when I dream... I dream BIG!)
  5. I really want to slow dance with my dad. 
  6. I want to have a dinner for the two families before the wedding day.
  7. I want to have a toast from the Best Man, and the Maid of Honor.

Now for things that I have learned about the inner workings of weddings (that I think could have been thought out a little better before)

  1. I want my reception planned to a T. Not necessarily every minute planned, but definitely having a good agenda for the time, so that the reception flows smoothly.
  2. I want my wedding to be in the right climate. Not too hot, not too cold.
  3. I want most of the accessories (meals, flowers, etc.) to be handled by stores (so my family isn't stressed, and can enjoy the time.
  4. I want a lot of people to come. I love going to everyone's wedding, and want to see every one at mine.
  5. I don't want to be stressed out, but to just enjoy the day. Plan everything up to one week before, and then just relax. (That would be in a perfect world)
  6. I WILL NOT have a wedding reception inside someones house. However big the house is, it IS NOT big enough for 40 people in a kitchen.
One last thing. I know I may have a pretty detailed outline of how I want things to go, but this is me! THERE WILL BE SURPRISES. I love them, and I love the look on everyone else's faces when I surprise people! 

So I love to go to weddings, and it's a good thing too. "Mormon wedding season" is starting up in a few weeks. I have already been to two weddings this year, and have at least 10 more to go to before the end of June!! So until I can have my own wedding, I will go and enjoy. See my friends marry the person of their dreams, and ride off into the sunset together for time and all eternity.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda besides #4 I did all on your list. We had a program to outline the evening and only the DJ had the time slots but at least people knew what to expect. The only thing not on your list and that I didn't have either that I wish I did was a videographer. I would give anything to be able to go back and watch the festivities too. I would def hire people to do the decor/food etc. It is more expensive but it makes it so much less stressful! Anyway, I can't wait till your wedding either!!!!

    ReplyDelete